Monday, September 7, 2015

5 Musts for the "Tech-Tense" Teacher

I had the pleasure of leading a few computer training meetings during our before school festivities. As I'm sure you know, all of our teachers were gung-ho about implementing new technology tools into their curriculums! For some teachers, you say "technology in the classroom" and they shudder. Others press you for details expecting you to have all the answers on how to use tech in their particular classes.

At my school, we are just beginning to unlock the potential of Google in the classroom. Every one of our middle school students now has a Google chrome book full time. The question has been, "How can we make this a successful initiative?" Some teachers are still not sold on using the chrome books in their classes; they may consider themselves "tech-tense". I've come to the conclusion that proper implementation has to be driven from the top down. Without the leadership expecting chrome book connections from teachers, the initiative will fail. It is no longer accepted for teachers to say they don't see the need to use chrome books in every classroom because, well, there are chrome books in every classroom.

I do not have all the answers, but I love to help out. However, I want my colleagues to rely less on me and learn to plan their own lessons with the chrome books in mind.

Teachers must RESEARCH.
I teach English, Bible, and Media in the middle school. I've used Google tools for a few years now. My go-to is Google Docs. I love that you can get into and edit your documents anywhere and on multiple devices. Responding to students is a breeze once the doc is shared. And Google Classroom is getting easier and easier to use for teachers and students. I can show you how to use these things, but I need you to apply it to your own class. Sign up for Google Classroom and spend 10 minutes learning it. It's what we teachers do, right? We bring in new resources all the time. It's time to research how to use a Google Doc in History or Science or even Math.

Teachers must PRACTICE.
There are times when I learn the basics, show the students what I want, and then let them run with it. Sometimes the students take it to a level I didn't expect, and they wow me. More often, though, students only do what you've instructed them to do. And to teach a skill, I need to know the skill first. I've known how to type a document for forever, it seems, but a Google Doc has some cool pieces I didn't originally understand. It has a research function where you can look up something on the Internet you just finished typing. Using this tool, you can also cite your sources. And one of my favorites to use with students is the revision history. Say they've selected the whole document to switch it to double space everything and they accidentally hit a key and erased it all. While the undo button is a savior for kids (and myself!), sometimes it doesn't work perfectly. Go to the student's revision history and see minute by minute the changes that were made. Restore the version with a single click, and viola! you have the entire document back. You can even see what the collaborators are writing at any moment. The point is you have to practice on a Google Doc and understand the toolbar before you can help the students with it.

Teachers must SERVE.
While I may not have time to go around to all the teachers to help them individually, it's my top priority to connect with my students. So I have to walk around and teach them how to use their chrome book and specifically their Google Doc. If there's trouble with the wi-fi, I need to take extra time to help them with a work-around. If the parents have a question from home, I need to make myself available to answer those questions.

Teachers must demonstrate FLEXIBILITY.
When I took my first educational tech class, the professor asked us to share our biggest "tech-fail". I think that says a lot about how often issues with technology could hinder a teacher's plans. Unfortunately, when a tech-fail occurs, class time is wasted. (And I haven't found a workaround for that!) However, having a Plan B is necessary. In my classes, we always have a consumable vocabulary book or a new writing project or a book we can fall back on. That independent work gives me time to get online and search for a solution or call our Tech Director for advice. Sometimes the activity will need to be pushed forward a day (or even scrapped!).

Teachers must SHARE.
I've tried to tell you some cool things regarding Google Docs and Google Classroom, and I hope teachers at my school can see the value in those tools. Options for more tools should collaboratively be brought to future staff meetings or Tech Tuesdays to share. Padlet, Kahoot, Socrative, and Evernote are terrific tools that can be applied to multiple subjects, and there's so much more! As teachers share what they're researching and trying out in their own classes, discussion that transfers it to particular subject areas will hopefully follow. And listen to the students! I have noticed students walk in and share their joys from a previous class in which chrome books were used. I, too, have seen students frustrated. This is a great time to let the students discuss solutions with each other and then encourage their previous teacher to try again the next period or day.

I don't think implementing technology is a perfect science. There are too many what-ifs and school specific philosophies, but when the leadership involves itself and sets up a clear plan for their teachers, I believe that tech success is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment