Sunday, September 20, 2015

21 (New or Seasoned) Teacher Requests

As a learner, I pretty much just put my head down and I study; that's the way it's always been.

I also enjoy online classes. I earned my masters degree and a educational technology certification completely online and loved it. That's not to say that I don't enjoy regular classes where I can discuss things with people, but if I need to get something done, I typically don't wait for others to put in their 2 cents. I'll just go for it.

All that to say I don't mind working through things on my own. Is anybody else like that?

With that said, I would have liked more supervision as a new teacher; I would like more supervision as a seasoned teacher.

And I'd love more feedback. So I share these 21 requests that I think would challenge me to become a better teacher.
  • Tell me if my lesson hook appeared to work.
  • View the students and share if they're engaged in the lesson or not.
  • Check my lesson plans or curriculum maps and tell me if I'm on the right page.
  • Pick apart my teaching style and share what's good and what needs work.
  • Give me the big picture.
  • Pay attention to the details and talk to me about them.
  • Try to understand the connection I just can't seem to make with that student.
I want to be challenged. Because believe it or not, I can run stagnant and do the same things I feel I've done great every year. While I know my heart's in the right place with the effort I put into teaching my students in middle school, I constantly need to learn new ways to reach out to them.
  • Tell me when I sit at my desk too much.
  • Give me a written evaluation of an alternate strategy for teaching direct and indirect objects.
  • Just show me you care enough to spend 30 minutes sitting in my class.
  • Teach me to use less sarcasm with my middle schoolers.
  • Make sure I'm on time to yard duty and Wednesday morning devotions.
  • Value my reaction to your comments.
  • Recognize when I'm sending an email asking for help and support.
We all want what's best for the students, and I know my ideas aren't the best out there.
  • Take my class for a period so I can sit in somebody else's class to see their techniques.
  • Be a listening ear when I'm frustrated.
  • Give advice when I need it.
  • Tell me if my room smells like B.O. I have plug-ins, I really do.
  • Notice my new bulletin board and ask me about it.
  • Respond to the emails I send seeking ideas.
  • Notice when I'm looking ragged and ask me about it.
Be honest and available. Be cordial and professional. Be personable. Be there.

If my requests go ignored, I'll put my head down and work hard; I don't mind tackling things on my own. But I value the opinion of others, so go ahead and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment