Friday, January 9, 2015

Positive Peer Pressure

At my Christian school, with the 7th grade Bible class I teach, students were "required" to volunteer. I know, I know, how can you require people to volunteer? That's an argument for which I really don't have a defense, other than this: service often must be taught.

In response to a discipleship lesson about what it means for students to carry their crosses, each student designed his or her own service. The requirements were few. Students needed to: 1) do something out of their ordinary, 2) work for free, and 3) use parents only for driving to and from the destination.

The first part of the assignment consisted of simply writing the action down on an index card and getting a parent signature of approval. Cards were brought in the next day and taped to a construction paper cross on the board, representing the carrying of the cross.

As we discussed the projects at the beginning of the period every day, students were forced to think through when and how they would complete the project. When hands went up to ask for the due date, I stated, "We'll figure that out later." I didn't tell them that I simply hadn't thought that far ahead.

After the following weekend, students represented to me that their project was finished by coloring their index cards with a crayon, a symbolic gesture which made the cross even more beautiful.
During the week, I continued to ask about the projects. A few people would come up each time and color in their cards on the cross. Meanwhile, students asked for the due date, but I still didn't have an answer for them.

During the next two weeks, almost all index cards were colored in. We began to discuss the projects in class, and it was clear that students were proud of themselves and their efforts at service. They were using their own minds, muscles, and merit to share something valuable with somebody in need. As color went up, more students felt left out. Hands shot up with the question, "When is this due?" "When do I need to finish?" And again I didn't answer.

Not all students finished without a given due date, but 90% of them got it done before it got to that point. And I think many students were motivated by others who colored their cards in early. For something like this, positive peer pressure made positive things happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment