Thursday, August 7, 2014

Stay Safe Ripon Christian!

I don't know about your school, but it seems that elementary students take a lot of risks on the playground. I know it's difficult for a student not to run through the hallway. There are students who get confused about their play areas, and arguments follow. And it's not super fun to use playground equipment exactly how it's designed. Shucks, when I was a kid, I sure caught a lot of air jumping off the swings when the teacher wasn't watching. The elementary teachers at our school decided enough was enough, and they tasked my middle school media students and me to put together a "safety video" for kindergarten through fifth grade.

Last spring, my sixth and eight grade media classes spent 4-5 class periods with iPads planning, directing, filming, and acting in safety topics ranging from keeping the game of tag OUT of the bathrooms to only going DOWN the slide to staying OFF your school desk. Some videos were great, and some videos were, well...good. I figured I, as the teacher, would have all summer to edit the 52 short videos down and create something awesome for teachers to show on the first day of school, which happens to be in less than a week.

I can tell you right away that I did NOT spend my summer creating a safety video. I was able, however, to complete it just today using iMovie on my Mac. Let me share, though, that I labored over it to get it just right. Anyway, I think it's a great idea for a school to do, and if you can get some of your junior high/middle school students to take some ownership over it by deciding on the scenes, and even the topics, true learning occurs. Take a look at mine...if you have time. At least watch the first minute and a half. Leave a comment if you can tell which movie opening I've borrowed inspiration from. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment