Wednesday, April 16, 2014

7 Ways to Erase the Chalk

I start every year going over boundaries and setting expectations with my sixth grade students. This last year, after taking some classes and adopting a new English Language Arts curriculum, I overhauled my ELA program, so after introductions I had a great opening for the students on the first day. It went something like this:

"I've taught for 15 years, and I think it's gone quite well. But this year I've planned to transform my teaching. If I can change after so much time, you can turn over a new leaf as well...if you really desire it. Some of you had a rough year last year. Well, this year can be whatever you decide to make of it. You get a fresh start."

We started the year with a lot of positive energy, but as always, that energy waned after just a few short weeks. Keeping the students involved and excited is a tough task. Also, students who have had struggles for many years don't just succeed at the drop of a hat. So just because I attempt to keep it positive and uplifting, it doesn't mean the students are going to meet my expectations all the time.

Do we give up on our students? Are there middle school (or elementary...or high school) kids whose school habits are irredeemable? When do we get to the point of no return? I hope we can answer, "Never."

If you know baseball, it's such a mental game, and attitude is everything. My son's coach loves to talk, and one of the things he loves to quote over and over is, "Erase the chalk." If my boy is pitching and walks one or two people, Coach will say, "Just erase the chalk. Get the next batter." If my son makes an error, same thing. If somebody strikes out, same thing. Erase the chalk. Start over. He says, "Don't hang your head like you're defeated. Get your chin up and keep working."


I try to have that attitude in the classroom. Creating an intentional work environment for students gives them a chance to start fresh, to erase the chalk, when necessary. Generally, creating this type of atmosphere allows room for risk-taking and paths toward success. Keeping students positive and motivated is key. You might want to try these 7 ways to keep things fresh in your classroom.

1. Think outside the box.
Any teacher can follow the set curriculum. Get creative with it, add to it, create breaks within it, play games, go hands on. I will throw in literature circles and allow a small group to work through a book for a couple of weeks. Comprehension...check. Written response...check. Vocabulary...check. Well, you get the picture.

2. Surprise the students.
If you're experiencing the doldrums in your own classroom, I can almost guarantee that your students are feeling the same thing. I love it when the students ask, "What are we doing today?" One, it shows that they are ready to learn. And two, it tells me they are okay with something new. And it keeps it interesting for me--I hate it when I bore myself. Sometimes I give an assignment, but I allow partners (and usually create the partner groups myself) to turn in one assignment with both names on it. Many variations can and do occur within this partner work.

3. Throw in technology.
We all know that students need a "hook". If using technology as a tool to do that works to engage students, then why not? If a child is not very into the normal routine, try some tech once in a while. I would say some of the easiest ideas come when you start a lesson using a YouTube clip. Just search for something on topic, and you're sure to find something worthwhile. If you're brave, set up a YouTube account for yourself (or use an existing one) and be the star of your own show. The students will love it.

4. Keep good humor.
Students love a teacher with a sense of humor. School is not business, though it is a student's job for the time being. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't have some fun within your job. I keep saying that the students keep me young. I couldn't imagine teaching in a classroom without a smile on my face, or without a smile on the students' faces. I take it as a challenge to get a student to grin. How can you teach middle school without humor? Tell a joke a day. Share a funny situation that happened to you. Keep them on their toes.

5. Show students you care.
It's amazing to think that each of those students in your classroom has a history, present, and future all their own. If you let them know that you care about each one of these periods in their lives, they will never forget you. One of the ways I do this for students is on their birthdays. Of course, the old tradition of spanking children for fun on their birthdays is no longer feasible (and legally irresponsible to say the least), so I've adjusted to shooting them with a foam disc shooter. My students in sixth grade turn 12 usually, so I keep it loaded with 12 discs, and students look forward to their turn all year. Summer birthdays don't get forgotten. That's what "half-birthdays" are for, right?



6. Encourage question asking, continually.
Make sure you remain approachable. Students come in all shapes and sizes, and they have their own ways of dealing with problems, or questions. I think teachers need to make themselves available for whatever the students bring to the table. I typically allow students work time at their desks as I wander or sit at my own desk doing some of my own work, but they can always approach me. Smiling works wonders, too. My opinion, though, is that students (especially at the higher grade levels) should know to ask higher level questions. For example, a reminder of instructions could be taken care of with a classmate, but specific questions regarding process could be teacher solved.

7. Meet with parents face to face.
I definitely could do this better. When issues arise, students need to know you're taking their situation seriously. If they struggle, talk to them first. If it's necessary, get the parents involved. As a teacher and a parent, I've learned that parents just want to know that the teacher cares and is making efforts toward success. In any situation, documenting student progress or lack of it is tantamount. Also, documenting a plan for improvement is necessary. Follow through with administration is always encouraged. In the parent meetings I have been involved with, it gives a fresh perspective on how much families really love each other. And that situation helps me love the students even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment