Sunday, March 9, 2014

Write Me a Delicious Meal

Teaching writing makes me hungry.

Over the years, I've developed what I think is a memorable mini-lesson on the structure of essay writing in the middle school grades. To encourage students to organize their thoughts on whatever topic is required or chosen, we first create a concept web with a central bubble for the thesis and introduction details, three bubbles coming off the original intro bubble that represent the main ideas of the body paragraphs, and a final bubble connected in a different way (perhaps a dotted line) for the conclusion. We use this web to brainstorm, we scribble on it when we change our minds, we X out and add on as necessary throughout the assignment. This is the first step in the writing process: the planning stage.

The fun part, though, comes in the drafting and revising stages, the second and third steps of the writing process. To inspire students to put sentences down on paper, I like to tell a true story.

My wife and I decided to have a date night and go out to dinner. We picked Tahoe Joe's Famous Steakhouse because we found a rare 2 for $20 seasonal coupon. Great food for two people for $20! What could be better? It was quite a steal. We walked up to the counter, put our name in, and were quickly seated. The smiling waitress approached and informed us that for the special, we could choose one appetizer, two entrees, and one dessert to share.

Appetizer--Introduction
My wife and I began when the waitress served us up the Jackpot Nachos: "piled high with refried beans, jack and cheddar cheese, tomatoes, jalepeños, and topped with sour cream, homemade guacamole and green onions". Oh, what a flavorful way to start our meal and prepare us for what was to come! The nachos had a distinction all to themselves--salty, strong, spicy, sharp--and the sharing of it prevented us from eating too much.
Much the same way, the introduction to an essay must be memorable. From the first thesis, the intro should have a flavor all its own. Consider a strong sensation, something sharp, that you can use sensory details to explore with your audience. Give them a solid base from which to begin, like the chips. Then detail where you're headed in your essay with a question, a story, some facts, the fixings on the nachos, if you will. Finally, build into a transition statement that brings the focus into the next phase of your "meal", the body.

Entrée--Body
Right about when we finished up our appetizer, the waitress dropped by to clear our plates and refill our drinks, noting that we were ready for our entrée. I had chosen Joe's Steak: "slow roasted for over 19 hours, then rolled in cracked black pepper and wood grilled". As usual, I ordered it medium as to retain the delectable juices of the beef. I also selected the Baby Greens Salad and the Mountain Mashers to go along with my main course. This phase of my meal had variety in color, flavor, and texture, and I was not disappointed when I took my first (not to mention my last) bite. I have to admit, I was feeling rather full at the end of this course, but I was delightfully satisfied.
This is really what we're here for, the main course. In the body of the essay, we arrive at the main points of the paper. Just as the waitress brought my steak entrée with my salad and potatoes, the body can be split into three topics. Each paragraph, then, should open with a topic sentence that clearly states the important point you're trying to make, follow with details in support of it, and end with another transition statement that relates to the next main point. The body as a whole should work together to support the thesis, but each paragraph of the body should appeal to the reader individually. At the end of the body, the reader should feel delightfully satisfied. Perhaps at this point, it's time to "push back the plate", allow for some reflection, and prepare for dessert, the final conclusion in the essay.

Dessert--Conclusion
When I'm satisfied after the main course, I tend to push my plate away semi-dramatically to signal that I'm finished. No matter how much I've eaten, though, there's always room for dessert. When the waitress came by and asked what dessert we'd decided to share, it was going to have to be the Nevada Cheesecake: "Joe likes his cheesecake tall, with a thick graham cracker crust and fresh whipped cream. You're going to like it too!" I knew it was the best option, and as my wife and I were served up the huge piece of cheesecake with two forks, we immediately dug into the sweet richness of our favorite dessert. We were relatively full, but we wanted that smooth end to a great meal.
While I didn't originally pick Tahoe Joe's for the dessert, it was definitely something I was looking forward to from the beginning. Teaching students how to structure a conclusion is tricky, but one thing I like to emphasize is that it should have a flavor all its own. Oftentimes, people save the most thought-provoking point until the end, or they share a related story that drives home their thesis. They may even review the main points and dive deeper into one of them, or end with a challenge for the reader. Whatever the structure of the conclusion, I think it should provide a smooth closing to the paper, just as the dessert does for the end of a meal. Keeping it relatively short and sweet, yet rich, will allow for a satisfying end.

ThExperience
Encompassing my entire meal at Tahoe Joe's is the overall experience. The host or hostess, waiter or waitress, manager, and cooks (perhaps even a bartender) create that dining experience for me. There are lots of smiles, refills, check-ups, and there's attention to detail (think: editing in stage 4 of the writing process). If I'm unsatisfied, they'll even bring me something new. They're looking to ensure a positive environment for me so that I...#1 come back, #2 leave a fat tip, or even #3 publish a great review. As a writer, a student can likewise strive to create the proper atmosphere for the reader. Using the analogy above, the audience for the essay is the patron who walked in, coupon in hand, ready for a delicious experience. As a teacher, I read what the students serve up to me, and I look forward to my delicious meal.

I told you that teaching writing makes me hungry. How's your appetite?

No comments:

Post a Comment